[TriLUG] divix players

Jeremy Katz katzj at linuxpower.org
Wed Nov 21 02:54:50 EST 2001

On Wednesday, November 21 2001, elliot peele said:

> does anyone know of any good programs that play divix video? i know we
> have recently covered dvd and thanks to that discussion i now have the dvd
> player on my laptop working. i found that ogle works beutifully. all
> you have to do is install all the rpms on the install page and it
> works. now i need to get divix stuff working. i have already looked at
> mplayer, but to compile it requires a new version of gcc other than the
> standard that come with redhat linux 7.2.

Well, you *can* get mplayer to compile if you're willing to jump through
the hoops they've put there (obligatory link to
http://bero.org/gcc296.html which has the explanation of their
misconceptions).

But, xine also worked well for divx and dvds back when I was trying the
media players regularly (which has been six months or more now)

Cheers,

Jeremy

--
Jeremy Katz
katzj at linuxpower.org	| jlkatz at eos.ncsu.edu
http://linuxpower.org	| Developer, NCSU Realm Kit for Red Hat Linux
GPG fingerprint: 367E 8B6B 5E57 2BDB 972A 4D73 C83C B4E8 89FE 392D