[TriLUG] Tony's attempt to install Debian Linux on his computer--from Lockergnome's Penguin Shell newsletter

Kevin - The Alchemist - Sonney alchemist at darkcanvas.com
Wed Nov 21 12:27:51 EST 2001

On Wed, Nov 21, 2001 at 11:43:23AM -0500, Daniel T. Chen spoke thusly:
> This is the type of stuff that really seems to tick off Branden, the
> Debian X maintainer. *People just don't want to read the FAQs.*

This is something that every other Distro maker seems to be spoiling
us with - X configs and works typically *WITHOUT* reading the faq.

> I'm assuming the reviewer wants the latest version of X (which in woody is
> 4.1.0-9), so the simple step would have been:
>
> # apt-get install x-window-system x-window-system-core
> # dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xfree86
>
> Voila, working X session.

And while it has bene my experience in debian that this works, finding
a doc that actuially explains this in "how to get X working with
debian" is a pain in the butt.

> Yep. He should also check out www.debianplanet.org and www.debianhelp.org

He should. And I think maybe the debian.org main site might want to
mention these fine resources prominently. Me? I'd gladly help document
all this stuff if I had but a few more hours in the day....

I'd love to see a better debian, because I like how debian does some
things (i.e. package management) over the RPM-based distros (to
date).

I will say that woody is better than potato, and potato better than
whatever it was before it (slink?). So I can't wait to see what sid
has to offer when it's a little les "unstable" *grin*

--      Kevin "The Alchemist" Sonney      --
--  New email : alchemist at darkcanvas.com  --
--  http://www.darkcanvas.com/~alchemist  --
--  ICQ: 4855069            AIM: ksonney  --

"If you'll read the subtext for many of those old strips, you'll find
the heart of an old-fashioned Libertarian. And I'd be a Libertarian,
if they weren't all a bunch of tax-dodging professional whiners."
  -- Berkley Breathed, 2001