[TriLUG] Digital Camera Question

rpjday rpjday at mindspring.com
Wed Nov 21 04:20:07 EST 2001

On Wed, 21 Nov 2001, Vestal, Roy L. wrote:

> I'm looking at getting a low cost (1 or 2 MPix) digital camera, and I was
> wondering which ones work best under Linux? I have been looking at that
> FujiFilm cameras, the Kodak DC series, and the Sony Mavica series. The Sonys
> use a floppy based, but I'd prefer not to. I have USB capability and have it
> compiled but I haven't used it at this time.

ya know, charles fischer would be just the man to indoctrinate you in
the ways of digital cameras (charles?), but here's my $0.02:

1) super high res (3+ megapixels) sounds terrific, but is probably
  drastically overkill unless you're doing commercial work.

2) beware of digital zoom versus optical zoom -- a higher optical zoom
  is better.

3) storage using compact flash is better for being a standard.  sony
  has its own proprietary standard (memory stick?) as does at least
  one other manufacturer.  stick with cameras that take compact flash.

4) since you want to play with linux, verify that your camera has
  gphoto support (www.gphoto.org)

personally, i got a kodak dc-290 and it's great, talks to linux
just fine.  i noticed that someone mentioned kodak is discontinuing
the dc line, but i'm assuming that they're replacing it with something
at least as good.

and check out buy.com, among other places, for discount prices.

rday

p.s.  a good test for USB support is to plug your camera into your
USB port, then run the "usbview" program.  it should see and identify
your camera, as it did with my dc-290.