[TriLUG] any clues?

Craig Duncan craigduncan at nc.rr.com
Mon Nov 26 20:29:31 EST 2001

I used to work on a help desk and one of my colleagues, would talk sweetly
on the phone while having her middle finger raised out of a clenched fist -
quite a sight. That visual, demonstrates how stressful help desk support can
be. Now flip the coin and think how frustrated the end user is. Have you
never purchased something and been angry because the instructions were wrong
or there was a part missing? I have, and I also get a little frustrated with
Linux OS's when I come across a tricky problem ( >> triLUG to the rescue).

In this case what may be missing is an in depth knowledge of how Linux
interacts with hardware, and an abstract layer that does not match that of
<duck> micro$uck's </duck> OS. Although I do not condone his acting out on
email, I do understand his frustration and perhaps you could give him the
benefit of the doubt here and presume that he is trying to learn and use
Redhat software. What he may really be frustrated about is the way he feels
about the gang of thugs from Redmond, and how he will ever escape them. So,
please, "forwarding his ass" on to support may save a new Linux user, but
don't judge a him just because the tone of the email is not to your liking,
it's not your job. Admittedly, I have not read Redhat's documentation, but
perhaps you may consider a task of your job to think of new ways in which
you can improve the documentation so that it is more accessible (not more
comprehensive) with external pojnters to useful resources to those not so
enlightened.

I am also an occasionally frustrated end user of Linux OS's, but as Manuel
once said, "but I learn, I learn!"

PS My (Red) hat is certainly off to the triLug crew, who always seem to be
there with an answer or 5 that you can try, they are collectively great!