[TriLUG] Samba File Transfer speeds

Bill Vinson billvinson at nc.rr.com
Tue Nov 27 14:17:48 EST 2001

Ok...Here is my question:

For this issue, I have the following 3 machines:

Windows 2000	(Duron 900 - 384 MB)
Debian 2.2	(Celeron 366 - 160 MB) with Samba 2.0.7
Mac OS X		(iBook Dual USB 500 MHz - 384 MB)

Here is the issue:

Uploading 79.3MB file from iBook to Windows 2000:		Under a Minute
Uploading 79.3MB file from iBook to Debian 2.2:			Under a Minute

Downloading 79.3MB file from Windows 2000 to iBook:		Under a Minute
Downloading 79.3MB file from Debian 2.2 to Windows 2000:	Under a Minute
Downloading 79.3MB file from Debian 2.2 to iBook:			10 Minutes +

I have a feeling this is a setting problem with Samba that is causing
the issue as all other transfer speeds are acceptable.  I understand
that I am not using exact times here, but none feel horribly
disproportionate except the Debian/Samba to iBook timing.  Anyone have
any ideas?  I have been toying with my smb.conf through SWAT and upped
the logging but so far nothing has jumped out at me...

I can include my smb.conf, but I figured I would throw the question out
first...

Thanks,
Bill