[TriLUG] Kernel version / wlan question

Kevin - The Alchemist - Sonney alchemist at darkcanvas.com
Tue Nov 27 15:00:50 EST 2001

On Tue, Nov 27, 2001 at 02:23:42PM -0500, Justin Johnson spoke thusly:
> b.) Upgrade to 7.2 and hope that the kernel is one of the ones that there is
> a wlan RPM for?

I use a Tecra 8000, RedHat 7.2, and an orinoco Gold Card form Lucent
(Which uses, As I recall, the same chipset as the card you have). It
works. No extra RPMS, just some configuration in
/etc/pcmcia/wireless.opts.

> Also, when I installed this machine I opted for the graphical login.  I
> there a way to shut down X to a text login?

edit /etc/inittab, changing the line reading
id:5:initdefault:
id:3:initdefault:

> Last thing. command to type that tells me which kernel I am running?

uname -a

Hope this helps, YMMV, etc, etc...

--      Kevin "The Alchemist" Sonney      --
--  New email : alchemist at darkcanvas.com  --
--  http://www.darkcanvas.com/~alchemist  --
--  ICQ: 4855069            AIM: ksonney  --

"If you'll read the subtext for many of those old strips, you'll find
the heart of an old-fashioned Libertarian. And I'd be a Libertarian,
if they weren't all a bunch of tax-dodging professional whiners."
  -- Berkley Breathed, 2001