[triLUG] any clues?

Ilan Volow raskinite at yahoo.com
Wed Nov 28 00:28:19 EST 2001

> From: "Beth Ellison" <leonardbernst55 at hotmail.com>
> To: trilug at trilug.org
> Date: Mon, 26 Nov 2001 15:30:00 -0500
> Subject: [TriLUG] any clues?
>
> Some guy wrote the documentation department here at
Red Hat, said that
> he
> might as well ask Forrest Gump as look in our books
for anything useful,
> and
> then sent me the following "description" of his
problem. I have no idea
> what
> this says and I find the guy kind of entertaining.
Any clue what the
> hell
> he's talking about? (and yes, I've already asked
some people who work
> here
> about
> it--I'm just curious what you guys might have to
say).

I haven't seen the 7.2 manuals, but from what I've
seen of the 7.1 manuals, Red Hat documentation is like
a box of chocolates. You never know what you're going
to get. Most of the user manual was incoherent and
contained scattered bits of cutesy tutorials on things
like making pretty pictures with Gimp or browsing
Usenet or the history of the Bourne shell,and not a
whole lot about setting up a basic system and getting
everything to work. I could easily see how someone
just starting out as a linux user wouldn't find it
very useful. I do think that people should ask for
help politely using coherent sentances that resemble
spoken english, but I also think people should
RTFM (such as the one below) ;)

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0966994914/qid=1006909262/sr=1-1/ref=sr_1_11_1/103-6149916-8505422