[TriLUG] Red Hat 7.2 and Wireless Lan

Justin Johnson justin at eCotton.com
Wed Nov 28 16:07:55 EST 2001

> (a) Did you modify /etc/pcmcia/wireless.opts to match the
> ESSID & etc for your
> card?
Yep, did that

> (b) are you *ABSOLUTELY* sure that you need the wlan drivers for your
> card?
Hhmmm. Not sure. I thought wlan where the *ONLY* drivers for a Linksys
wireless nic.

> (c) does /etc/pcmcia/config & /etc/pcmcia/config.opts know about this
> card?
Yep.

> (d) do you have the file
> /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-wvlan0 that
> ocntains your IP settings (DHCP, etc)?
Okay, here we go. Yes it had the settings. I copied my ifcfg-eth0 contents
into my ifcfg-wlan0 file,
changing DEVICE=eth0 to DEVICE=wlan0, and removing TYPE-Ethernet and
PEERDNS=no. However, looking through
the file again I noticed that my BROADCAST setting ends in .127, and I
thought it should be .255. So I
changed it to .255 and rebooted. There she is! Weird. (Or is it?)

Thanks anyway for your help!

Justin