[TriLUG] Gnome foundation results

John Matthews jvmatthe at math.duke.edu
Thu Nov 29 08:42:15 EST 2001

On Wed, 2001-11-28 at 19:20, Andrew C. Oliver wrote:
> Looks like the gnome people didn't feel like getting corrected over
> pedantic semantics and other FSF political baggage.  Looks like the
> project won't come to a screaming halt after all.  Too bad, so sad.
> Break out the beer.

If I were one of the people that felt that the concepts of freedom,
free(dom) software, and the GPL were worth giving time and effort and
suport to, that kind of snickering, snide sniping would bother me quite
a bit.

Oh, wait. I *am* one of those people.

Do I think RMS is stubbornly clinging to principles over pragmatism?
Yes. Does it frustrate me at times that he, and others, are so
vociferously adamant about the concept of free(dom) software? Yes.

But at the same time, I think that our community is richer for having
such a person among us, and it would never occur to me to engage in even
a bit of schadenfreude over the election results.

Regards,
matt

--
Matt Matthews     \ ph: 919.660.2811        \ Use GNU\Linux  _o) w00t
Duke Univ., Postdoc\ jvmatthe at math.duke.edu  \____________   /\\