[TriLUG] MS Exchange scheduling component replacement?

Errol Casey errol-list-trilug at boo-bear.com
Fri Nov 30 08:30:03 EST 2001

On Thu, Nov 29, 2001 at 06:15:27PM -0500, Christian J Hedemark wrote:
> Howdy folks,
>
> I'm doing some volunteer work for one of the homeless ministries in the
> Triangle, which is currently 100% Microsoft, and looking to introduce them
> to "the light".  One of the things that they are asking me to do is install
> MS Exchange 5.5 solely so people can schedule time with the pastor.  Even
> with the reduced price given to charities, this is going to cost about
> $1,500 for the additional software on top of the existing NT 4.0 server.
> I'm qualified and able to do this but would like to propose another option
> to them.  Since my only recent scheduling experience is with MS Exchange &
> Lotus Notes I wanted to ask y'all if there was an open source option that
> could go head to head against Exchange.  It would be really nice if this
> integrated with email somehow.

Came across this info Chris.

Samsung was announcing that it had signed a licensing agreement with HP to take over ongoing development of HP's enterprise mail product OpenMail. HP officials estimate that OpenMail has about five million users worldwide. The second part of this announcement was that the resulting Samsung product, called Contact, could also be used to replace Exchange Server with something more robust and datacenter-proven (such as Contact running on an HP-UX or MPE/ix-based server). Samsung and HP falsely claim that the switch will be transparent to existing Outlook users. Their transgression isn't nearly as bad as Ellison's. (More on that soon.)

http://techupdate.zdnet.com/techupdate/stories/main/0,14179,2824905,00.html

So OpenMail may life, through Samsung.

But doubt it will be free. Just thought you might want to look into it, since you
were investigating.

--
Looking for something - Search Google - http://www.google.com