[TriLUG] Kernel Update fails on RH7.2

Justin Johnson justin at eCotton.com
Fri Nov 30 13:30:57 EST 2001

> I've done several of the upgrades on 7.2, and only the
> machines running
> grub had the changes done automatically.
>
> The other machines are running off lilo, and I had to manually edit
> /etc/lilo.conf to reflect the new kernel (and then run lilo -v).

I got it working, the only thing that *didn't* get completed was the edit to
lilo.conf.
The kernel was installed, so I added an entry in lilo.conf and changed the
default, and
it booted to the 2.4.9-13 kernel. :-)

It's weird though, I did two machines in two days, one edited the lilo.conf
file no problem,
the other didn't. The only different in the two machine was that I changed
the string during
the initial install to Linux, where the default is linux. In other words,
the "label=Linux" line in
lilo.conf seemingly made Update Manager not be able to add the new entry to
the file (??)
Dunno, but it works now.

Thanks,
JJ