[TriLUG] RH Linux libc problem - installing Oracle

Justin Johnson justin at eCotton.com
Fri Nov 30 17:34:43 EST 2001

I don't know if this will help or not, but right before I left my last job
about a
month ago I set up Oracle 8.1.7 on Red Hat 7.1. I had A LOT of help from an
Oracle DBA that
has a lot of experience with Unix/Linux. Anyway, there is an issue with the
version of glibc,
and he had me create the following .bashrc for the oracle user account,
which got around the problem.
Take a look at the last section. If you want the  entire document, I can
send it to you off list.

Hope this helps,
Justin

#### Don't really understand it, but here it is. ####

# .bashrc

# Source global definitions
if [ -f /etc/bashrc ]
then
	. /etc/bashrc
fi

USERNAME="oracle"
BASH_ENV=$HOME/.bashrc
export USERNAME BASH_ENV

# Save original path and library path
BASE_PATH=$PATH;export BASE_PATH
BASE_LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$LD_LIBRARY_PATH;export BASE_LD_LIBRARY_PATH

# Set default Oracle Instance database
ORACLE_SID=OR8I;export ORACLE_SID
. $HOME/setdb81.sh

# Oracle 8i work-around for old glibc
LD_ASSUME_KERNEL=2.2.5
export LD_ASSUME_KERNEL
. /usr/i386-glibc21-linux/bin/i386-glibc21-linux-env.sh