[TriLUG] making modules

Barry Ruvio bruvio at earthlink.net
Wed Dec 5 14:48:05 EST 2001

No, I haven't overwritten the old kernel. All of my kernels that I have made
are in the /boot directory. I make sure to give them different names when I
put one in there. And when I call them from /etc/lilo.conf I make sure to
specify the appropriate name.
I think the problem has something to do with the fact that I now have two
source trees under /usr/src. One is called linux2.0.4.suse and the other is
linux2.0.4.GB (or something close to these names). And when I make a new
kernel the modules are installed under the corresponding modules directory
in /lib/modules. Somehow the 2.0.4GB source tree has gotten wiped out and
now I can only make a new kernel in the other directory. I don't know how
this happened. My first kernel, the one which I use everyday, was made using
the stub kernel source tree.
My idea for fixing this mess was this:
just build a new kernel using the new 2.0.4.suse tree and use it. But it
didn't work. The kernels which I built won't run. They all hang with lots of
errors. So that's why I'm sticking with the original kernel because its the
only on which will run.
I would like to untie this mess so that I will learn not to make this
mistake again.
Barry