[TriLUG] Ready to kill the last MS box

Chris Merrill cmerrill at nc.rr.com
Thu Dec 6 07:23:01 EST 2001

In my recent experiences with laptops (Presario 1900, Thinkpad T23), I found
Mandrake was significantly better than RedHat in regards to recognizing the
hardware and installing the appropriate drivers.  I haven't tried any of the other
distributions.

I think in general, you'll have good results, since the laptop is a little older the
hardware should be well supported.

Michael Mueller said:
> I am ready to kill the last MS Windows box in my operation.  It's a
> Presario 1200 with 64Mb+256Mb of RAM, built-in modem (PCMCIA I
> think) and a Netgear LAN PCMCIA.  I am looking for a recommendation
> of distro and rev.  My background is RH 6.1.  Anybody have this type
> of laptop running Linux that can guide me throught the hard parts?

Chris Merrill
cmerrill at nc.rr.com