[TriLUG] icecast and xmms

Chris MacLeod stick at miscellaneous.net
Thu Dec 6 16:17:47 EST 2001

So recently I setup icecast with shout running on my box at home so I
can have access to my 10G of mp3's from other machines (the office) etc.

I was using xmms to connect to the stream and it worked ok for a while
then got really skippy broke up and got kicked a couple of times.
 Initially I thought it was a bandwidth issue, but then I tried it over
the lan I had the same problem.

It would seem that xmms sucks at streaming so I tried xaudio as well as
winamp they all had the same problem.

Has anyone played with icecast and gotten some good performance out of
it?  I'm not running it on a really beefy box (p200 64meg ram) but usage
looks really low on the box and it's only one client so I don't think
it's server performance.

Anyone have any ideas?

Stick