[TriLUG] icecast and xmms

Tanner Lovelace lovelace at wayfarer.org
Thu Dec 6 17:34:50 EST 2001

Jon Carnes wrote:

> What is your disk subsystem.  For streaming Audio, you will need SCSI.
> Otherwise it will be skippy...
>
> Jon

I've run streaming audio using the Apache::MP3 perl module very
successfully with IDE drives.  Why do you claim SCSI is needed?
I've even done this using plain 5400 rpm IDE disks on standard
controllers (i.e. not UDMA).

Also, what's the advantage of Icecast over something like
Apache::MP3, besides the obvious of not needing to setup
apache. :-)  With Apache::MP3 I get a very nice web interface
to pick the songs I want to listen to and everything works
very nicely.

Just curious,
Tanner