[TriLUG] icecast and xmms

Jeremy P jeremyp at pobox.com
Thu Dec 6 17:40:04 EST 2001

On Thu, 6 Dec 2001, Jon Carnes wrote:

> What is your disk subsystem.  For streaming Audio, you will need SCSI.
> Otherwise it will be skippy...

Only if there are a large number of clients.  IDE drives are more than
capable of handling several streams at once -- heck, a modern UDMA drive
can handle several streams of DV-quality VIDEO at once.  I would only
worry about this if I were setting up a server for >10 simultaneous
clients. Even then, it would seem that network bandwidth would be the
bottleneck unless it's all gigabit ethernet or something.  (Though his
processor speed of 200Mhz is more of a bottleneck for IDE compared to
SCSI.)

--Jeremy