[TriLUG] rp3 on RH7.1___Dial-up config Script activation via sshd command prompt:call me lazy

Michael Mueller bhu5nji at yahoo.com
Fri Dec 7 18:25:44 EST 2001

Can't get through the firewall if they won't let me through.  Target
firewall owner is going through M&A and things are not  "normal" for
now.  Alternative is to set up PPP and then go ssh over that
connection.

Trivial?  Maybe if you've been there, done that, and got the
t-shirt.  Probably not for me.

I've SSH2 working pretty well over a LAN so getting it work over a
PPP IP connection should be straight forward.

I've also have mgetty working on ttyS0 for direct logins.

Getting PPP to work over a null modem looks easy enough.  Just have
to go get a 50' cable and a null modem adapter.

Getting PPP to work over a dial-up connection requires access to two
POTS lines and two modems.  I have 1 of each right now.  The scripts
look reasonable, but it's been years since I doinked a modem (I've
been lulled into stupidity by using windoz).

Then there's my obsession with reading 100s of pages of HOW-TOs
before issuing a handful of commands.  The PPP-HOWTO looks well
written.

The nifty thing about your response is that you indicate ssh over a
PPP is correct and trivial.  Knowing that helps a lot.

Mike