[TriLUG] Nice article: The Register "Making Linux look harder than it is"

Tomm Lorenzin skytomm at 1000plus.com
Fri Dec 7 18:10:37 EST 2001

This really IS a good article, and I am the newbie described in it.  I gotta
crawl before I can run.  Command line stuff was fine when that was all there
was (Applesoft, PC-DOS, ante-winders/mac gui), but I really cut my teeth on
the GUIs when they arrived and then learned how to take them apart and put
them together again with under-the-hood command-line stuff (doing user
technical support).

First, I wanna DO stuff on tarbaby (my experientially and
appropriately-named Linux box) to prove that things that I am accustomed to
doing on Macs and Winders machines can be done with Linux, AND that these
things and more can be done at least as well and prolly better and more
securely than the Mac or Winders can do it.  THEN I'll dig into the nubbins
that make Linux tick.

I'm gonna wait until either:

1. I have read thru and understand my first Linux book (Linux in a Nutshell)
and I feel confident enough to proceed/succeed, or
2. My Linux-guru daughter and her beau are visiting and can help me select
packages and settings for a RHLinux install that will get tarbaby on the
net - internal AND external.

Meantime, he's stuck running winders and I'm using him for backup storage.
<feh!>

7:^)
Tomm "br'er fox" Lorenzin
Mooresville (Lake Norman), NC
Sky6Tomm9 at 61000plus9.com
(remove sixes and nines to use addresses)
Tarbaby, he don't say nuthin'
	~ Uncle Remus (Joel Chandler Harris)
Visit me at: http://www.1000plus.com/Cataract/