[TriLUG] My Experiences With Linux on PPC

Benjamin Reed ranger at befunk.com
Sat Dec 8 22:03:53 EST 2001

Christian J Hedemark [chris at yonderway.com] wrote:
> Thanks for sharing.  I may be in the market for something more portable soon
> and always wondered how the Apple hardware held up while running Linux.  But
> your mention of the single mouse button is one of my biggest beefs with
> Apple systems.  Have you tried plugging in an external 3 button mouse yet?
> I'm wondering if all of the buttons will work.  If so I might be able to
> handle the limitations of the stock hardware.

I have not tried it yet, but I understand it works just fine.  USB is
certainly supported, so that's how you would go about doing it.

(walks to desk, grabs USB mouse)

...uh, in fact, I didn't have to restart.  I just plugged in a USB mouse and
it worked -- all three buttons and the mouse wheel.  No restart of X or
anything, and no annoying pop-up driver crap like Windows.  Damn Linux rules.  =)

> Also, how do you like the display?  Is it large?  Crisp?  Vibrant colors?
> Good contrast?  Do you have to be sitting "just right" to see it?  How does
> it look when working outside?

Display is very nice -- 12.1" and nicely crisp.  I haven't tried it outside
but I haven't had trouble reading it in low light nor in the flourescents of
the office.  It's not as crisp from an angle but still very readable.  It
doesn't "blank out" like some LCDs do from the side, the only difference is
that you get a bit more glare from the backlight.

All in all, I'm very happy with it; I'm glad I got it.

--
Ben Reed a.k.a. Ranger Rick (ranger at befunk.com)
http://defiance.dyndns.org/ / http://radio.scenespot.org/