[TriLUG] Fixed IP to cable modem?

Scott Morris scmorris at ifndef.com
Mon Dec 10 17:57:00 EST 2001

> What's the easiest way to switch from a fixed IP to DHCP client ?
> I've searched the how-to's, but have only found one method, which
> seemed kind of complicated.  I've removed linuxconf for security
> reasons.  Otherwise, I would have used it.  I guess I could
> re-install, but would prefer to learn how to get by w/o it.
>
> This is for a RedHat 7.2 install.  Every search of RH for help
> returns some gui based instructions.  Since I've tried to set this up
> as a secure server, I do not have X installed.  I prefer to learn the
> old fashioned way anyway.  There's more power in the command line,
> I've been told...

redhat72 comes with dhcpcd as the dhcp client.(not that that matters for
this)

edit your /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0 (or whatever your
interface name is) and make it say:

DEVICE=eth0
BOOTPROTO=dhcp
ONBOOT=yes

or you can ifconfig down and ifdown the interface and run dhcpcd from the
command line.

--
Scott Morris
scmorris at ifndef.com
Any similarities to reality are purely coincidental.
Get my PGP public key: http://www.sackheads.org/~scmorris/publickey.asc