[TriLUG] Asound ALS4000 sound card with Redhat 7.2

Joseph Waddell jwaddell at email.unc.edu
Mon Dec 10 21:47:53 EST 2001

All,
I've been trying to get my Asound (ALS4000 chip set) sound card to work
with my Redhat 7.2 installation.
I started with sndconfig and it correctly identified my sound card and
then continued to say that it is not currently supported.
I've read (and tried) the instructions at www.alsa-project.org but
couldn't get my sound card to work.  These instructions walk a user
through compiling a kernel with support for sound cards using the
ALS4000 chip set (and many other sound cards as well).
Is there an easier solution?  I've thought about replacing my Asound sound
card with one supported under Redhat 7.2, but I'd like to save a few bucks
and learn something along the way.
I'd appreciate any help you can provide.

Thanks,

Joe Waddell
jw at unc.edu