[TriLUG] Verizon Online DSL and Linux

Robert Floyd r.floyd3 at verizon.net
Tue Dec 11 15:36:25 EST 2001

> Point 2: look closely; it's probably an introductory offer with a
> contract for 6-12 months;  your rate will probably go up to ~$50 at
> some point in the future

Probably true

> Point 3: setup; Earthlink had the same type of marketing blurbs;
> here's a good test: call customer support to see if Linux is
> supported or if they are aware of anyone using Linux with their
> service  (my guess is that the cust. svc rep. will not know what you
> are talking about);  you'll probably need a DSL/cable router with
> PPPoE capability

Actually, that seems to be a common myth around here. I've been running
Verizon DSL for several months, and it works just fine with my Linux notebook
with no PPPoE. There was 0 setup for me; I just plug in the cable and connect
directly with no manual setup.

> Point 4: Most people in the US use cable; any reason not to consider
> cable?  DOCSIS1.1 compliant equipment wil be deployed soon and that
> should fix the bandwidth sharing problems with cable;

Perhaps because Time-Warner is even more evil than Verizon? <g> Or because
some of us prefer satellite TV to cable. ;-)

> Point 5: Better type in "Verizon DSL" at Google; it doesn't look
> promising

I've heard (and read) a lot of complaints about Verizon's DSL service, but
that has not been my experience, in Durham, at least. Connections are solid
and performance is good, though their news servers can be somewhat
temperamental (but aren't everyone's these days?).

As with all things, YMMV.

--
Robert Floyd
Durham, NC

"Extremism in the pursuit of OTR is no vice."