[TriLUG] Securing /etc/fstab

Kevin Hunter khunter at rhoworld.com
Tue Dec 11 16:15:58 EST 2001

I'm still on my quest to secure my web server ( RH7.1 soon t/b 7.2 ).
 I've read in the security how-to, and other doc's, about changes I
should make to my /etc/fstab file.  My current version I would
assume, is very much the default ( i've cut out the first column ):

 /                       ext2    defaults        1 1
 /boot                   ext2    defaults        1 2
*/home ext2 defaults,usrquota,grpquota,bsdgroups 1 2
 /mnt/cdrom              iso9660 noauto,owner,ro 0 0
 /mnt/floppy             auto    noauto,owner    0 0
*/tmp                    ext2    defaults        1 2
 /usr                    ext2    defaults        1 2
*/var                    ext2    defaults        1 2
 /proc                   proc    defaults        0 0
 /dev/pts                devpts  gid=5,mode=620  0 0
 swap                    swap    defaults        0 0

I was thinking of changing the '*' lines to something like this (
according to what i've read )

/home ext2 rw,user,usrquota,grpquota,bsdgroups  1 2

/tmp                    ext2    rw,user         1 2

/var                    ext2    rw,user         1 2

Are there other changes I should make??