[TriLUG] Banging away at mail server setup

Jeremy P jeremyp at pobox.com
Tue Dec 11 18:50:46 EST 2001

If something took guru Jon Carnes 8 hours to install, it will probably
take a mere mortal weeks.  I would think about just giving all the users
accounts anyway.  This allows you to use the huge amount of software
that's designed for normal *nix accounts, such as quotas, user management,
etc, instead of a proprietary system.

You'll have to lock down the accounts of course -- restrict shell access
(by setting the shell to /bin/true), make sure things like ftp and telnet
are disabled, etc.  But using this option allows you to use things like
cgipasswd for users to change passwords (assuming your webmail solutions
don't already have a change password option), and you can easily expand
the server to user web pages in the future if you wanted.

--Jeremy