[TriLUG] Postfix mail problem

S. William Schulz swschulz at astrum.net
Thu Dec 13 15:14:13 EST 2001

On Thu, Dec 13, 2001 at 01:29:48PM -0500, David A. Cafaro wrote:
> Ok, got a question for the postfix gurus here.  I dropped sendmail in favor
> of postfix to better support a imapd I'm using and all seemed to have gone
> well.  I removed sendmail (via rpm) and installed postfix (via rpm), and
> postfix seems to start up nice and happy.  To test postfix I loaded up pine
> in a user account and tried sending an email to root.  I hit ^X to send it
> starts it's little thing say "Sending Mail 100%" then goes to an error
> message saying "Mail not sent. Sending error: 451 Error: queue file write
> error".   Here are some settings:
>
> mail_owner = mail
> default_privs = nobody
>
> queue_directory = /var/spool/postfix
> mail_spool_directory /var/spool/mail

This was/has been corrected in later versions of postfix.  I asked the
same question on the postfix-users mailing list
(http://groups.yahoo.com/group/postfix-users/message/47816 , et ff).  After
upgrading to 20011127 (or later) from 20011125 it was resolved.

Try downloadinga newer src.rpm and install/rebuild it.

Best,

SS