[TriLUG] help with usb mouse

Kevin - The Alchemist - Sonney alchemist at darkcanvas.com
Fri Dec 14 08:12:28 EST 2001

On Fri, Dec 14, 2001 at 12:41:56AM -0500, Donald Ball spoke thusly:
> maybe i should just ditch the mandrake kernel and roll me own again. i had
> to do that for 8.0 since it didn't support my fricking internel ps/2 mouse
> on my ibm thinkpad out of the box. sheesh. any idea what patches i must
> apply to a stock 2.4.x kernel to make mandrake happy?

I dunno, but the RHL kernels work with USB keyboards/mice out of the
box. The kicker is having HID loaded, so you *MIGHT* be able to just
load the modules in rc.local and get away with it.

Or grab the RHL 7.2 kernel-source RPM, install that, and roll thier
kernel instead.

> i'd really like to use the "usb" protocol documented in the XFree86 4.1.0
> manual, but it's apparantly a lie. argh. usb mice are the bane of my
> existence. i should have gotten the logitech, but i liked the feel of the
> microsoft one so much more...

AFAIK, the USB protocol only works with USBHID, which means either the
modules need to be loaded, or you need to recompile your kernel.

HTH, HAND...

--      Kevin "The Alchemist" Sonney      --
--  New email : alchemist at darkcanvas.com  --
--  http://www.darkcanvas.com/~alchemist  --
--  ICQ: 4855069            AIM: ksonney  --

"If you'll read the subtext for many of those old strips, you'll find
the heart of an old-fashioned Libertarian. And I'd be a Libertarian,
if they weren't all a bunch of tax-dodging professional whiners."
  -- Berkley Breathed, 2001