[TriLUG] Scripting Users Group?

rpjday at mindspring.com rpjday at mindspring.com
Fri Dec 14 08:28:19 EST 2001

> +1 : code at trilug.org?

i don't think a *general* coders/developers mailing list would be
all that useful, since it would be ... well, too general.  a forum
to address all of c, c++, java, perl, python, shell, etc.  is trying
to cover too many bases at once.

i much prefer the idea of having a separate mailing list for each
*linux-related* scripting or programming language.  and no one
says we have to have a list for every different language.  from
what i've read, it would be sufficient to create two new lists:
shell and python.  there are already well-established forums/lists
out there for c, c++, java and so on, and they've been there for
years -- no sense reinventing those now.

regarding perl, there is already a raleigh.pm.org mailing list, but
it has (last time i looked) virtually no traffic.  not to step on
anyone's toes, but i wouldn't take it the wrong way if there was
a perl at trilug.org list as well.

i think the appeal of having local lists like this is that people
are more likely to post and ask questions if they don't think their
posts are going to the entire world.  since i've written courses on
basic shell and perl, i'd be happy to join and share what precious
little i know.  and since i'm just starting to learn python, i'd just
as certainly join and ask my share of stupid questions.

anyway, my $0.02.  it's early.  more coffee.

rday

p.s.  ruby at trilug.org, anyone?