[TriLUG] Scripting Users Group?

Ken VanDine ken at bizrace.net
Fri Dec 14 10:30:02 EST 2001

I have worked with Pike/Roxen for the past 4 years.  Fortunately, I was at the decision maker level in those companies and was able to choose the technologies I thought was best.  No selling involved :-).  But, now I am unemployeed and all that Roxen experience isn't useful.

I know what you are saying about the future of Pike.  I think fredrik with do good things with it.  I have talked to some of the folks over at Roxen and they said they feel Pike is at a good place where they don't need to make many more changes.  So, I think Fredrik will go off and improve Pike... and Roxen will just add things here and there when they really need it.  I think ultimately that will hurt Roxen.  I would rather see them give the Pike name to Fredrik and then base Roxen on the Open Source language Pike.  Then they would get to choose which version of Pike to distribute with Roxen.  But, that is my belief and Roxen doesn't feel the same way.  They have basically replaced their entire management team and laid off their top developers.  They told me they got rid of the programmers that weren't team players (meaning the guys that were around at the beginning).

I still do all my personal development in Pike/Roxen/Caudium.

Anyway, I am happy to hear there is another fan in the area.

--Ken