[TriLUG] Trust up2date ?

Kevin - The Alchemist - Sonney alchemist at darkcanvas.com
Fri Dec 14 10:55:37 EST 2001

On Fri, Dec 14, 2001 at 10:30:25AM -0500, Kevin Hunter spoke thusly:
> What do you, the experts, do ?

I've bene using up2date on my machines at home with no problems. I
also cheat a little :

1) Each machine has a single entitlement, and a different RHN login
   for each.
2) All three are set to keep the doanloaded RPMs
3) All three are set to store the downloaded RPMs in the same
   directory (NFS mounted, check /etc/sysconfig/rhn for the config
   file settings)

So, a typical update for me goes something like this :

# ssh to the firewall
ssh moltress
# run up2date without the X interface
sudo up2date -nox -u
# wait for packages to download, etc, etc.
# OK, all done here
exit
# ssh to my main machine
ssh pikachu
# run up2date
sudo up2date -nox -u
# wait for up2date to figure out what packages I need
# up2date insatlls already dl'ed ones from shared dir,
# and only downloads ones that haven't been downloaded already
exit
# repeat for third machine
ssh snorlax

--      Kevin "The Alchemist" Sonney      --
--  New email : alchemist at darkcanvas.com  --
--  http://www.darkcanvas.com/~alchemist  --
--  ICQ: 4855069            AIM: ksonney  --

"If you'll read the subtext for many of those old strips, you'll find
the heart of an old-fashioned Libertarian. And I'd be a Libertarian,
if they weren't all a bunch of tax-dodging professional whiners."
  -- Berkley Breathed, 2001