[TriLUG] Controller has Failed

Jeremy P jeremyp at pobox.com
Fri Dec 14 14:57:31 EST 2001

On Fri, 14 Dec 2001, Jeff Bollinger wrote:

> Anyone ever have the error when running rawrite under Windows
> "Controller has Failed"?  I assume that means my floppy disk controller,
> though my floppy disk drive works perfectly well.  I usually just use
> the ol' 'dd' but I have to do this in Windows this time, using rawrite.
> I've formatted the disk several times (in both Linux and Windows) but I
> keep getting the same error.

Have you tried a different floppy?  Floppy disks are notoriously
unreliable and easy to damage.  It seems they've gotten even worse
in the past few years.  They're cheap, so throw that disk out and
try another.

If you continue to get the message, even when trying different brands of
disk, then my guess is you're just using the wrong operating system.
Switch to Linux and dd. :)

--Jeremy