[TriLUG] Solaris X session from Linux

Vestal, Roy L. rvestal at rti.org
Fri Dec 14 15:51:07 EST 2001

Worked great! Thanks.

-----Original Message-----
From: Jeremy P [mailto:jeremyp at pobox.com]
Sent: Friday, December 14, 2001 10:12 AM
To: 'Trilug-Triangle Linux Users Group'
Subject: Re: [TriLUG] Solaris X session from Linux

On Fri, 14 Dec 2001, Vestal, Roy L. wrote:

> Is there a way to do an X session in Linux from a Solaris server?

Sure... same was as on Linux.  I assume you want a whole interactive
session?  If the Solaris server is running xdm, change the "Xaccess" file
to allow connections from the workstation you're using.
Then, on the Linux workstation, run this at a virtual console:
	startx -- :1 -query solaris-server.whatever.com
The :1 will start a new X server on a VT (in this case
CTRL-ALT-F8) and the -query option tells X to get an xdm login from the
Solaris box.

Note, XDMCP used in the above is not secure.  (gdm also speaks XDMCP if
the Solaris box has Gnome installed...just change your gdm.conf to allow
XDMCP connects)

Alternatively, just use ssh to login to the Solaris box and make sure X
forwarding is enabled.  This is the easiest way to run an X program from
Solaris on your workstation, but I think you meant you wanted a full
session.

Let me know if you have futher questions... I've done this kind of thing
between Solaris, HPUX, and Linux... it works nicely.

--Jeremy