[TriLUG] Dogpile Massively Parallel Supercomputer and lots of Mac hardware

Christian J Hedemark chris at yonderway.com
Sun Dec 16 00:00:51 EST 2001

Mike said:
> Quadra's are cool.

Yeah we got a few of those.  Some 650 models and some 660AV models.

> For the PowerMacs, look for systems that at least
> have PCI.  Linux won't play real well (MkLinux is, well, being forgotten)
> with the NuBus PowerMacs.
>
> You can tell the NuBus from the PCI systems based on their model
> number:
> x100 <- NuBus
> x2x0 <- PCI
> x5x0 <- PCI

We got a good mix of these, both PCI and non PCI.   5400/180, 5200/75LC,
7100/80 (multiples of some models).

> OSX won't run on anything less that a G3.  You can get a hack that will
> let you install on a system that's been upgraded to a G3 processor.

*grumble* no thanks.

We also found LCIII and LC475.  There are more Macs there that we haven't
picked up yet (they had to close for the night so we couldn't get another
load in).

> Out of curiosity, how does one get in on these auctions?  How much
> are the systems at auction?

Bruce will have to answer your first question.  As for the second, I would
have to say "don't worry about it".  It's very attractive.  The real cost
however is dumping the stuff you DON'T take (it is yours, and has to be
removed... either you can do it or they will... and they will charge you for
that service).  So while the systems themselves were cheap, no matter how
much help we get monday morning there will still be a cleanup bill.
Hopefully we'll break even (or better) by selling off some of the nicer
stuff.  So when you buy large lots like we did, the main issue isn't the
cost of the lot but the cost of removing what you DON'T want (and this lot
would quite literally fill a tractor trailer from top to bottom, front to
back).