[TriLUG] partitioning advice

rpjday rpjday at mindspring.com
Tue Dec 18 03:30:00 EST 2001

On Mon, 17 Dec 2001, Ed Hill wrote:

> I think having a separate "/home" is IMHO a great idea so that, when you
> decide to re-install your distro, you can keep your user data in the /home
> partition and not destroy it when you do the re-install.

by the way, if you have the disk space, here's something that might
save you time.  create an additional 1.5G partition and mount it
under /cds.  under that, create subdirectories "1" and "2", and
copy the entire contents of (assuming you're using red hat) the
first two cds under those directories.  that way, you never have
to fiddle with mounting cds if you want to install something new.

in addition, create a third subdirectory, /cds/rpms, and symbolically
link all of the rpms from both cd directories so you don't need to
screw around with looking in two different locations for a particular
rpm.

rday

--
Robert P. J. Day