[TriLUG] partitioning advice

Kevin - The Alchemist - Sonney alchemist at darkcanvas.com
Tue Dec 18 08:02:47 EST 2001

On Mon, Dec 17, 2001 at 10:44:44PM -0500, Jon Carnes spoke thusly:
> I like to use three partitions:

So do I :

- / (about 4Gb)
- /usr/local (about 4-20Gb)
- /home (everything else)

Rather than install things in /home/alchemist/foo, I like to install
them in /usr/local. This si the default for a lot fo programs you
compile yourself, and it also allows you to use some of them
regardless fo what user you happen to be at the time.

Also, I've started mounting /home from a "house only" NFS server. If
you ahve more than one system in yuor house, it's worth buying a big
drive for one of them, and mouting /home on all systems from that
drive. It also means you're not scrambling to scp your
.emacs/.pinerc/.muttrc/etc/etc to every new machine you set up *grin*

(Of course, I also support SAMBA mounts to the same place, giving me a
universal home directory in my house, no matter what OS I'm using. if
I ever get a Mac, I guess I'll be adding appleshare to that - if it's
not OSX+ *grin*)

--      Kevin "The Alchemist" Sonney      --
--  New email : alchemist at darkcanvas.com  --
--  http://www.darkcanvas.com/~alchemist  --
--  ICQ: 4855069            AIM: ksonney  --

"If you'll read the subtext for many of those old strips, you'll find
the heart of an old-fashioned Libertarian. And I'd be a Libertarian,
if they weren't all a bunch of tax-dodging professional whiners."
  -- Berkley Breathed, 2001