[TriLUG] some kernel building observations

Dan Chen crimsun at email.unc.edu
Wed Dec 26 07:17:55 EST 2001

On Wed, Dec 26, 2001 at 06:45:03AM -0500, rpjday wrote:
> out of curiosity, have you (or has anyone else here) added
> CML2 on top of some version of the kernel source and tested
> it?  there's a CML2 transition guide i just downloaded, so
> i thought i'd give it a shot.

Yep, worked quite well with a corresponding version for 2.4.16. I
normally use kernel-package but in that instance did the manual make
menuconfigure dep bzImage modules (skipped modules_install and install,
however). I hit a few snags with usb-uhci and scsi, but I _believe_
those have been ironed out.

> of course, since CML2 is heavily python-based (python2 to
> be exact), i'll have to go back to learning python.  i'm
> starting to think i need to create a dependency tree for
> what i'm trying to learn.  ack.

Yes, its requiring Python2 generated quite a bit of contention on lkml.
I don't see all the fuss, however -- most current distributions have
Python2 already.

Dan Chen                 crimsun at email.unc.edu
GPG key:   www.unc.edu/~crimsun/pubkey.gpg.asc