[TriLUG] setting the partition type?

Tom Bryan tbryan at python.net
Thu Dec 27 19:17:27 EST 2001

On Friday 28 December 2001 08:32 am, Chris Merrill wrote:
> I'm attempting to follow some instructions on creating a hibernation
> partition for my Thinkpad.  The first part of the instructions say to
> create a primary partition of the correct size, then set the partition
> type to a0.
>
> How is that done?  I'm using parted

Try fdisk?  It appears to know about partition type a0.

# fdisk /dev/hda

The number of cylinders for this disk is set to 1027.
There is nothing wrong with that, but this is larger than 1024,
and could in certain setups cause problems with:
1) software that runs at boot time (e.g., old versions of LILO)
2) booting and partitioning software from other OSs
   (e.g., DOS FDISK, OS/2 FDISK)

Command (m for help): l

 0  Empty           1b  Hidden Win95 FA 63  GNU HURD or Sys b7  BSDI fs
12  Compaq diagnost 55  EZ-Drive        a0  IBM Thinkpad hi f2  DOS secondary

---Tom