[TriLUG] questions regarding PPP and compression

M. Mueller/bhu5nji bhu5nji at yahoo.com
Thu Dec 27 22:55:58 EST 2001

On Friday 28 December 2001 10:11 am, you wrote:
>   i've just built kernel 2.4.18-pre1, then dumped CML2 and the
> latest version of kbuild on top of that.  nothing like living
> dangerously, i always say.
>
>   anyway, got PPP running for that, but curious about a couple
> of messages in /var/log/messages i remember from way back:
>
>   modprobe: Can't locate module net-pf-4

ipx

>   modprobe: Can't locate module net-pf-5

appletalk

> i vaguely recall that these had to do with PPP compression, no?

do "modprobe -c"
you should see:
alias char-major-108 ppp
alias ppp-compress-21 bsd_comp
alias ppp-compress-24 ppp_deflate
alias ppp-compress-26 ppp_deflate

> it's not serious since everything comes up fine and the next two
> messages are that the PPP BSD and deflate compression modules are
> registered.  but can someone refresh my memory what these messages
> represented?
>
>   also, there are two choices for PPP compression -- BSD and deflate --
> with a note that deflate is the better choice.  does this actually
> imply that i need only one of the two?  thanks.  most likely more
> questions on the way as i hack around with kbuild and CML2.

I've got both registered and Deflate (15) enabled as reported in my
/var/log/messages.  I've got control of ppp on both ends of the connection. I
am new to this app.  I did nothing to choose either compression message.  The
performance is abysmal compared to LAN speeds (duh....).  I was used to
pushing 2.1 Mb loads to machines in mere seconds.  Transfer time went beyond
2 min with PPP over dial-up.  I quit compiling statically and got loads down
to 200Kb with transer times just under 2 min.  I am considering updating in
piece parts (very error-prone).  If you know some better way to compress over
PPP, please let me know.