[TriLUG] RH 7.1 on ThinkPad T21 hanging

Rodent of Unusual Size Ken.Coar at Golux.Com
Tue Jan 8 17:54:01 EST 2002

Now that I'm using my T21 more and more, I'm leaving it on for
longer periods of time.  Not as long as I'd like, though,
since it seems to do a hard hang sometimes.  At least twice
I've noticed that it happened when xscreensaver was running
the greynetic hack; that's what was frozen on the screen.

BIOS functions seem unaffected; the keyboard light, speaker
volume and mute, idle screen power-off, and similar things
are still accessible and running.  Once the screen goes
dark, though, nothing will paint it when a keyboard or mouse
action happens; I'm not even sure it powers back up (but I think
it does).

The only way I've found to get out of this is to hold the
power key down for 10+ seconds -- which blows away any
work-in-progress, of course. :-(

Has anyone here encountered anything like this?

On a brighter note, VMware rocks. :-)
--
#ken	P-)}