[TriLUG] Re: RH 7.1 on ThinkPad T21 hanging

Ken D'Ambrosio kena at well.com
Tue Jan 8 17:55:30 EST 2002

On Tue, 2002-01-08 at 17:54, Rodent of Unusual Size wrote:
> Now that I'm using my T21 more and more, I'm leaving it on for
> longer periods of time.  Not as long as I'd like, though,
> since it seems to do a hard hang sometimes.  At least twice
> I've noticed that it happened when xscreensaver was running
> the greynetic hack; that's what was frozen on the screen.

Given the circumstances you describe, and assuming it's on a network,
I'd try to ssh in, and see if the computer's crashed, or if it's "just"
the console.  If it is, indeed, the console, I'd go and disable gpm
("/etc/rc.d/init.d/gpm stop;chkconfig gpm off"), and see if it still
happens.  I've had problems, on and off, with gpm on any number of
notebooks, and, unless you spend a lot of time in text console mode, you
really don't need it (it cuts-and-pastes for console mode).  Also, you
might log in and check your /var/log/messages, and see what was
happening right before your boot, and whether or not any of it might be
pertinent.

$.02

-Ken