[TriLUG] just to clarify a few points about meetings ...

Bill Vinson billvinson at nc.rr.com
Fri Jan 11 13:03:58 EST 2002

On Friday, January 11, 2002, at 12:30  PM, rpjday wrote:

>   regarding the flowe speaker, i had *no* idea there was going
> to be a flowe presentation.  there is no mention of that on the
> web page.  frankly, the first hint i got was when i looked down
> at my laptop for a few seconds, looked back up, and suddenly
> there was someone other than kevin speaking.  what the heck?
> who's this?  and he did a pretty fair job, considering how
> minimally he was introduced and what little build-up he got.
> why no advance warning of this?

Not sure if it will make you feel any better, but I was unaware of the
Flowe demo and if I had known I would have updated the web page
accordingly with the meeting announcement.  It is almost certainly my
oversight.  Last I remember it was cancelled to be rescheduled, but I
never caught a date for the demo.  I simply went by the meeting agenda
that went out to announce/Kevin's schedule for the LUG.  I should have
caught this and for that I do apologize to the group and to the flowe
speaker.

I am not going to really touch on anything else as I know what I want
out of the meetings, but I prefer to keep quiet and let the rest of the
membership say their part.  As I have said before, regardless of my
feelings I will move in the direction the LUG chooses, so long as it is
legal, ethical, and following our charter :)

I would also like to say that I did not show the speaker enough
attention nor enough respect and for that I also apologize.  Matt
Matthews was very correct in saying that the steering committee is to
set and example and I definitely failed in that respect last night.

>   i've been a loyal trilug member for a couple of years now.
> i've invested my share of time in helping out.  i served on a
> panel discussing training.  i sponsored one meeting's worth of
> pizza.  i just about pulled my hair out getting eben moglen to
> give us all a free talk.  and i've donated boxes of books and
> various pieces of hardware to other members.

Let me say here that I hope that no one who gives of their time or
resources feels that they have made a wasted effort.  Without this
generosity, in all likelihood TriLUG would not continue to exist.  I
think I can probably speak for everyone on the SC (and probably the
whole LUG) when I say your contributions and all contributions made by
others have been very appreciated.

Bill