[TriLUG] Wireless Access Points/Routers

Mike Broome mbroome at employees.org
Fri Jan 11 13:57:59 EST 2002

On Fri, Jan 11, 2002 at 07:27:46AM -0500, Kevin - The Alchemist - Sonney wrote:
> OK, From what I've seen, the LinkSys will do all of this. And it comes
> highly recommended from everyone I know who has used it.

+1

I setup a Linksys firewall/WAP/hub combo (BEFW11S4) for my parents over
Christmas.  I got it working with 128-bit WEP with both the Linksys
PCMCIA cards I gave them and my Cisco Aironet 340 PCMCIA card without
any trouble.

> Option 2, and one I'm going to experiment with, is to add a pcmcia->pci
> card to one of your PCs, and put an 802.11b card into that, and use a
> desktop machine as the WAP. Costs less than an AP, although hardware
> support can be tricky. Requires knowledge of IPTables (or IPChains). If
> this works, I can use the desktop as a WAP until I can afford a new
> Airport Hub, and when I get the hub, I can turn around and move the card
> to another desktop machine in the house.

I have a co-worker who went this route, using an old P133 with Linux
that he had lying around.  It's working great for him.  He isn't running
the box as his firewall, too, just as the WAP, but with the right
iptables/ipchains/netfilter incantations, it should be do-able.

Mike

--
Mike Broome
mbroome(at)employees.org