[TriLUG] just to clarify a few points about meetings ...

Andrew C. Oliver acoliver at nc.rr.com
Fri Jan 11 16:20:03 EST 2002

I think you hit the audience issue on the nail.  While I may be on the
job hunt, I've absolutely no interest in attending the types of TriLug
meetings you would like to have.  Let me state this crystal clear.  Have
those nice glossy brochure type meetings that you could have your
corporate execs to and I sure as heck won't be interested in coming.  I
can go to a corporate marketing seminar anywhere these days.

> and if i can take one great, big giant step backwards, this is
> directly related to something i mentioned a couple of years ago,
> when i asked just what trilug's intended audience was going to
> be.  i posted that there were at least two possible audiences
> trilug could try to appeal to.  on the one hand, there were the
> geeks.  on the other hand, there were the corporate executives
> in the area who might be considering linux for part of the
> corporate infrastructure, and wouldn't it be just peachy keen
> if we could act as local evangelists.

> for daring to express such heresy, i was thoroughly flamed to
> the point where i needed new underwear.  and it seems clear which
> direction trilug has chosen to go -- it caters pretty much
> exclusively to the local geek/techie population.

Or maybe the audience of the meetings isn't the audience you prefer or
maybe the meetings aren't the best venue for the agenda you're up for.

> there is precious little to appeal to, say, the local influential
> corporate executive who might be considering linux to come to a
> trilug meeting.  i market to these people and, believe me, they
> are not the slightest bit interested in investing three hours of
> an evening to, first of all, sit there for 45 minutes hearing how
> the pizza is just about to get there, then hear geeks constantly
> interrupt the chair with geek jokes.

Seriously how likely do you think they want to hear a technical chat?
And how many members would be instested in hearing a marketing chat.

> but this is where it ends.  while i value the chance to socialize
> with other techies, my business demands that i spend my time
> "selling" linux into corporations, and making a living off of that.
> and, as far as i can tell, trilug is not making any effort to
> evangelize locally.  which is too bad since, given the number of
> people at the meetings recently who are looking for work, a little
> evangelism could really go a long way.

It must be nice.  I'd love to be in the thick of all opensource stuff as
much as possible.  I'm not against a meeting and evangelistic arm just
as you speak of (not sure I'd be into doing that as a voluteer -- here's
how you can make money off of linux while I go bankrupt, sure it'll help
you lay more employees off), but the meetings aren't the place for
that.  The meetings are geek-oriented.  If they were anything but, I
wouldn't come.

-Andy

--
www.superlinksoftware.com