[TriLUG] VNC questions

Janyne Kizer janyne_kizer at ncsu.edu
Fri Jan 11 16:43:51 EST 2002

Unfortunately I'm still not having much luck with this.

I added the following to /etc/services

vnc-640x480x8   5950/tcp                        # vnc server IP
vnc-800x600x8   5951/tcp                        # vnc server IP
vnc-800x600x16  5952/tcp                        # vnc server
IP

And then I added this to /etc/xinetd.d/vnc-640x480x8 (similar files also
for vnc-800x600x8 and vnc-800x600x16)

# default: off
#
#       server                  = /usr/bin/Xvnc

service ftp
{
        disable                 = no
        socket_type             = stream
        protocol                = tcp
        wait                    = no
        user                    = nobody
        server                  = /usr/bin/Xvnc
        server_args             = -inetd -broadcast -once -geometry
640x480 -depth 8
        log_on_success          += USERID
        log_on_failure          += USERID
}

When I reboot the server, though, still no VNC.

Then I decided not to use the "user = nobody" and changed it to
"user=root" (I have had some problems with tftp running as nobody and I
need to fix that too).  Anyway, when I rebooted after this change, still
no VNC.  Any additional pointers would be appreciated.