Linux 4 Business presentation WAS: RE: [TriLUG] just to clarify a few points about meetings ...

Andrew C. Oliver acoliver at nc.rr.com
Fri Jan 11 18:48:41 EST 2002

>Darn it, I had written almost the exact same message (except I was
>lobbying
>for more people to run for the SC...)

>This is a great idea, and is a necessary part of the Linux scene that
>TriLUG has not ventured into yet.  Your outline below is perfect, and
>not
>only do I volunteer to talk about integrating Linux into a real
business
>(using HAHT as an example), but I volunteer HAHT's meeting space for
the
>gathering, as well as a tour of our facilities.

>Jon

I have to say, when you put it more like that (And the previous person)
I like the idea better.  I just feel trashing the group as a whole
saying we're going down hill because we're not all coming to the
meetings in suits and straightback chairs is non constructive.  I like
the mainstream member meetings and like a kicked back format.

I feel this is a far more constructive idea than that which was
originally presented

I'd personally be game for this provided you can prevent it from being a
way for a few individuals to throw a "free seminar".

I like the idea of a Linux For Business presentation.  Thats exactly the
kind of initiative I'd like to be associated with.  Its constructive and
technical but from possibly a higher level.  I'd hate to do it every
month but a quantitative analysis of cost savings coupled with a big
picture view of how to use Linux and other opensource applications in a
full end to end business structure is a GREAT presentation in my view.
The topic would provide more formality.  I would suggest it be done out
of band to provide more time if needed.  This would be potentially a
mondo-big presentation.

One thing that would be required to make this great (not that we're
being constructive) is a real plan and preparation.  I would suggest
potentially using an opensource methodology to develop this.  I
understand trilug is talking about hosting services.  If they're able to
do that in time to start this initiative fine.  If they are not then I
would be able to donate CVS access.  Ideally we'd agree on an opensource
authoring tool such as OpenOffice for creating the presentation.

To do this properly would require a lot of research.  Otherwise its just
self promotion and advertising.

I would volunteer my services to help author and create the presentation
as well as I'd be willing to help present provided this was not done for
next months meeting and someone else could take the bull by the horn for
organizing.  (I'm organizing stuff across the dateline and in multiple
timezones as well as a partially exhaustive marketing process.  I do not
enjoy marketing any more than a marketing guy enjoys writing code).

I think it would be fine to have it at Haht, but we would need to keep
the presentation vendor independent not precluding case examples.
(though we would of course mention many thanks to Haht such as was done
at the TriLug meeting last night)

-Andy
--
www.superlinksoftware.com