[TriLUG] trilug meetings

Ben Pitzer uncleben at mindspring.com
Fri Jan 11 21:44:52 EST 2002

On Fri, 2002-01-11 at 15:54, prhodes at vdsinc.com wrote:

> > Personally, I think it is disrespectful to the
> > speakers and to the rest of the audience to continually interupt with
> > childish  and/or irrelevant geek jokes -
>

> I would say that it depends on the speaker.  I think that a lot of the
> speakers
> we get, are geeks themselves.  Which makes sense when you consider the
> typical
> subject matter we're dealing with.
>
> Anyway, if the speaker is a hardcore geek, the geek humor probably isn't
> that big of a deal.  On the other hand, if the speaker was, oh say an IBM
> executive in charge of IBM OSS initiatives, or something, then it would
> probably be less appropriate to interject the geek humor...

Actually, I thought there was something even more disrespectful
happening during last night's talk on Flowe.  All due respect to the
steering committee (and no, I do NOT plan to run in the spring), but the
side conversations going on at the side of the auditorium were something
that I found somewhat disruptive.  I appreciate the steering committee's
need to talk amongst themselves, however I think that if we want to get
more control over the meetings, then having our leadership provide an
example by respectfully listening to our speakers instead of more or
less excusing themselves from the meeting.  While I appreciate what the
SC does for the LUG, I think that they could enjoy the meetings just as
well by being audience members.

As for the comments from the assembled LUG members, I think that most of
them are perfectly acceptable, unless they are meant to be disruptive to
what the speaker is presenting.  Frankly, I like the informal meeting
format that we employ.  It keeps it fun for the membership.  However the
little side meetings I believe should stop.  If someone in the audience
makes a wisecrack that pertains to what the speaker is talking about, at
least that person is paying attention to the speaker.  Those that
plainly are not paying attention are the guilty parties, in my book.
I'm sorry if I step to blithely on toes here, but courtesy is courtesy.

Regards,
Ben Pitzer