[TriLUG] less and raw man pages

Tom Bryan tbryan at python.net
Sat Jan 12 12:11:17 EST 2002

On Sunday 13 January 2002 06:24 am, Rodent of Unusual Size wrote:
> Is there some sort of trick to keep 'less' from rendering
> the nroff source of a man page?  I want to page
> through the raw nroff format of a file, but 'less dandt.1'
> renders it rather than showing me the nroff directives.

Huh?  What distribution do you use?

On a Red Hat Linux (7.2) box, here's the start of the output from
$ zcat /usr/share/man/man1/ls.1.gz  | less

.\" DO NOT MODIFY THIS FILE!  It was generated by help2man 1.24.
.TH LS "1" "August 2001" "ls (fileutils) 4.1" FSF
.SH NAME
ls \- list directory contents
.SH SYNOPSIS
.B ls
[\fIOPTION\fR]... [\fIFILE\fR]...
.SH DESCRIPTION
.\" Add any additional description here
.PP
List information about the FILEs (the current directory by default).
Sort entries alphabetically if none of \fB\-cftuSUX\fR nor \fB\-\-sort\fR.
.TP
\fB\-a\fR, \fB\-\-all\fR
do not hide entries starting with .
.TP