[TriLUG] Outline for proposed Linux for Business presentation.

A M Thomas am at virtueofthesmall.com
Sun Jan 13 22:01:30 EST 2002

This looks good!  I'm particularly interested in HyperSQL - I've not
heard of it before, and it sounds like it could have saved me some time
in my current project.  Could anyone fill me in?  I looked around the
web, but all I could find was binaries for other platforms and
comparisons to "doxygen" or something like that - is there a good
"howto" or step-by-step description of how it's installed and how it
works?  Requirements?  Do you still have to write code to use it (I'm
comfortable with Perl, not Python).

Anyway, about the outline: one thing I've heard mentioned - I can't
remember by whom - is that it's important to know that Linux sysadmins
are out there and hireable (even more than the several excellent TriLug
members who've mentioned they're looking).  Would it be possible to
mention sources and availability of linux experts and employees, maybe
giving statistics from job boards or the like?  Just to be able to say,
"you can hire someone to help you, and if they leave, you can find
someone else this way" - that way there's less risk to the business?
Maybe sources of contractors?

Also, although I realize that too much detail threatens to turn this
into a whole separate presentation, perhaps how to know they're getting
a "good" expert (i.e., certification, what to look for on a resume).

One more thing: I was surprised and impressed recently to discover that
StarOffice could be installed on both Windows and Linux.  I know,
everyone else has known for ages, but I didn't; I just installed it on
the (Windows) computer I donated to a non-profit group and am completely
excited about it!  Now, if only I could figure out how to get them free
ISP service...  Anyway, my point here is that cross-platform solutions
should probably be emphasized.  I'm far from an expert, but I'm hoping
some of you know of more items that would fit in this category.

Thanks, Andrew C. Oliver!

- Ann Marie
--
Virtue of the Small