[TriLUG] Mail Server options.

H. Wade Minter minter at lunenburg.org
Mon Jan 14 09:37:22 EST 2002

On Sun, 13 Jan 2002, Rick Steeves wrote:

> Everything I read about sendmail is kinda scary (not being a linux expert),
> so I've been looking at other options. The two I've looked at in reasonable
> depth are qmail and postfix, with a brief review of squirrelmail and exim
> (which seem too limited to me).

I guess I'll be the lone voice saying the sendmail isn't the horrible
beast that everyone makes it out to be.  I use it in a virutal-hosting
setup, and I have virtual domains, virus scanning, RBL, webmail, TLS,
SMTP-AUTH, etc. all working without a hitch.  Using M4 config files isn't
any harder than saying "Give me this feature and this feature, with these
options".  Only the sadistic edit sendmail.cf by hand.  ;-)

One benefit of sendmail is that, being the default MTA on 99.99% of Unix
installations, there is a large body of documentation on configuring it.

Postfix seems pretty neat, and I haven't used qmail or exim, but I wanted
to toss my two pennies in for Old Reliable.

--Wade