[TriLUG] Computer Tech Wars (was Outline prop Linux for Business)

Christian J Hedemark chris at yonderway.com
Mon Jan 14 15:33:25 EST 2002

Kim said:
> Actually, if we can scrape together equivalent hardware/software for 2
> teams I'm sure we could invite the local MS Users group to a friendly
> competition over watermelon and beer.  We have contact info for their LUG.

Well I can make it unfair.  I have a pile of identical Pentium 133 systems
with 16MB RAM.

> I think it'd be fun, and also a very useful direct comparison.  Pick a day
> in July, do this for an afternoon, and then have a cookout/some other
> party?

I think it would be great fun.

The trick will be software licensing and media for the Windows folks.  What
if we throw a problem at them, and they don't have the media on hand to put
a solution together?  You can't exactly download most popular Windows apps.

The other thing we'll need is an impartial techy to stress test both
systems.  If the protocols used are standard (like SMTP or http) it should
not be too hard for a perl head to do this with a fast workstation.

Also we would need an audience.  Not just any audience.  IT directors,
CIO's, those kinds of folks.

I think it would also be appropriate, if we had the space, bandwidth, and
hardware available, to invite TriBUG to throw the *BSD's into the fray.  We
all know it won't be much work to trounce Windows in a lot of these
challenges but FreeBSD would be quite a challenge.